Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fashion is a Wonderland

I saw "Alice in Wonderland" on Sunday and I noticed the costumes more than anything else. OK, maybe not more than Johnny Depp, but come on! The outfits are amazing and so creative. I recommend the movie for many reasons, most of which being the ensembles. Surprisingly, Alice's outfits are actually quite wearable in the real world. In fact, the story and the concept of a Wonderland has inspired a new line by Sue Wong... but I'm getting ahead of myself. Here are some clips from the movie.


Alice In Wonderland 1
Image from here.


The costumes were done my Colleen Atwood. Yes, the same Colleen Atwood that did "Sweeney Todd" and "Chicago". The costumes for "Alice in Wonderland" match the feel of the movie to a tea... a mad-hatting tea party to be precise.


Alice In Wonderland 2
Image from here.


Alice In Wonderland 3
Image from here.


In a magazine over the weekend I came across a "Sue Wong for Walt Disney" ad. Having not seen the movie, I figured that it was just like what I would find in the movie. Au contraire! Sue Wong must have gotten her inspiration from the book and other movies because her line and the costumes are very different. The Sue Wong dresses are sweet, extremely feminine, and understated. The movie costumes are bold, uber creative, and quite unique. Here are a few examples that I love. To see more, check out her website!


Sue Wong 2
Feathered Cocktail Dress


Sue Wong 1
Beaded Lace Dress


Sue Wong 4
Feathered Deco Cocktail Dress


Thanks for reading and I would love to hear what you think of the costumes and the Sue Wong line.


Love,
jenna

4 comments:

  1. great post! I love the Beaded Lace Dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Johnny Depp too. That Beaded Lace Dress is gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I LOVED this movie mainly because of the costumes! Very insightful post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The feathered cocktail dress is amazing, i would wear that in a second (even just around my house if i couldn't find a place to wear it to). The dresses are not costume-y at all but have a whimsical feeling of fantasy. Ready-to-wear Disney!

    ReplyDelete